MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Canadian Enamel Concrete Brick and Tile Company
The Canadian Enamel Concrete Brick and Tile Company was incorporated via Letters Patent, under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act, on 5 December 1911. The founding partnership included John Alexander Girvin, Thomas Black, George White Murray, Thomas Russ Deacon, Henry James Box, and Douglas Colin Cameron. The firm held an initial capital stock of $250,000 and were based in St. Boniface, with construction of a $150,000 plant announced in early January 1912. They established a presence in Norwood, on the south side of Marion Street, between Lillian Avenue and St. Mary’s Road. The venture was short-lived, and around late 1914 its Norwood quarters were acquired by the Manitoba Pressed Brick Company. In February 1915, the company was declared insolvent by the Court of King’s Bench and its assets were liquidated in accordance with the Winding Up Act. The First World War appears to have prolonged and deferred the process, with the last matters relating to the company finally resolved by 1921.
“Permanent exhibit of Winnipeg’s industries,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1911, page 34.
“New brick and tile company,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 January 1912, page 8.
“Wanted - night watchman,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 May 1912, page 18.
“Business facilities, rail connections[,] and cheap power attract industries,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 25 September 1915, page 65.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 331C - Canadian Enamel Concrete Brick & Tile Company, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
Court of Queen’s Bench Winding Up Act pockets (ATG 0015), #107 - Canadian Enamel Concrete Brick & Tile Company, GR0195, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 October 2019