Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodville School No. 599 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Woodville School District was established in January 1889 and a one-room schoolhouse was erected the next year, at SE16-11-29W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. The district was named Woodville in commemoration of early settler William Wood. The school closed in June 1970 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its area became part of the Elkhorn Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. The former school building was sold and moved to property two miles west of Elkhorn. As of the late 1980s, the building was apparently situated at NW32-11-28W and abandoned. It is commemorated by a monument in a cemetery about two miles south of its original location.
Among the teachers of Woodville School were Wells Thompson (1890), Dolly Buckingham (1890), Albinas Clark (1891), Robert E. Beatie (1892), Stewart R. Laidlaw (1894), Margaret A. McLelland (1895), Thomas A. Stark (1896), D. J. MacMillan (1897-1898), James A. McLeod (1899), Hattie J. Hume (1900), Hector Oatway (1901-1902), Mary Creighton (1903-1904), Elizabeth M. Rollins (1905), E. Benson Steel (1906), Eva P. Grant (1906), A. C. Lawson (1907), Minnie Isabel Cocks (1908), Jean Velma Brown (1909-1910, 1913), Laura McLeod (1911), Lila Hopkins (1912), William G. Lamond (1912), Violet M. Moir (1913), Gladys I. Hume (1914), Miss Sanford (1915), J. Myrtle Hanna (1916), Miss M. Mignon Taylor (1917), Evelyn Rowley (1918), Barbara E. Smith (1919), Muriel Thornton (1919), S. Bessie Grant (1920), C. Renflesh (1921), M. Irene Parr (1921), Mrs. Olive A. Wise (1922), Ella M. McGhie (1923), E. Estella Mooney (1923), Leah V. McLeod (1923-1925), Annie E. Hunter (1925-1926), Ella Grace Compton (1927, 1927-1928), Alice Noble (1927 substitute), ? (1928-1929), Myrtle Isabel McKelvey (1929-1930), Kathleen May Paddock (1930-1931), Jean Clare Sutherland (1931-1934), Irene McDonald (c1933), Madge Angus (1934-1935), Miss Phyllis Ruth Sutherland (1935-1938), Ethel Donelda Scott (1938-1940), Marion Z. A. Gordon (1940), Gladys Christina McLean (1941), Jean F. Naylen (1941), Lola May Dring (1941-1942), Mrs. Edith Lillian Chapple (1942), Hazel Lillian Green (1942), Audrey Grace McBean (1943), Ina Coventry Carradice (1943-1944), Shirley Susan Wallace (1944-1945), Leila Ruby (1945-1946), ? (1946-1947), Kathleen Mary Paull Thomson (1947-1953, 1957 substitute, 1959 substitute), Violet Jane Flannery (1953-1954), Mrs. Frazer (1954-1955), Mrs. Len Northcott (1955-1956), Mary Lou Rutherford (1956-1957), Astellia Maria Tivy (1957-1958), Georgina Painter (1958-1959), Mrs. E. L. Warren (1959 substitute), Ilene Elizabeth McCutcheon (1959-1960), Donna Airey (c1961-1963), and Mrs. Kathleen Thompson (c1964-1967).
Elkhorn West topographic map, 62F/14 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Woodville School District No. 599 - Daily Registers, GR0466, Archives of Manitoba.
The Story of Woodville, Reston: Reston Recorder, July 1967.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Mary Ellen Roach for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2018
Back to top of page