Historic Sites of Manitoba: Webster School No. 1919 (RM of Grey)
A cairn marks the former site of Webster School, which opened in 1925, in a building on the southeast quarter of 29-8-3 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Grey. It closed permanently in 1961, remaining students went to Elm Creek Consolidated School No. 812, and the school district was formally dissolved in January 1966. A monument was erected in 1992, for the Elm Creek centennial year, and dedicated to the pioneers, teachers, and students of Webster School.
Among the noteworthy students of Webster School was Ron Meadmore.
The teachers of Webster School were Miss Una Wallace (1925-1928), Miss Beatrice Hutchings, Miss Margaret Susan Nichols, Miss Hazel Winder, Miss Evelyn Pritchard, Miss Constance Franzmann (1943), Miss Evelyn Denhard, Miss Annie Martens, Miss Calista Braden, Miss Betty Funk, Mrs. Madeline Underwood, and Miss Dorothy Meadmore.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Memories: Elm Creek Centennial History Book, 1892-1992 edited by Doug and Hazel Frost. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.E46 Cen]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 April 2015
Back to top of page