Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wayoata School (605 Wayoata Street, Winnipeg)
Built in 1959 by the Transcona School District, it was based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. The eight-classroom school was officially opened at a ribbon-cutting ceremony on 19 February 1960 by school trustee Donald Moore, Education Minister S. E. McLean, and School Board Chairman A. H. Day. Though named Wayoata School at its unveiling, there was rumour the school would be soon renamed for the royal child, Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward, born to Queen Elizabeth II on the same day. In the end, the name remained unchanged.
The school’s capacity was increased in 1962 as part of a $330,000 district expansion program, adding twelve classrooms. Expanded again in 1970, a grade realignment in 1998 by the Transcona-Springfield School Division changed this K-6 school to K-5, with the transfer of grade 6 to Arthur Day Middle School.
Photos & Maps
“May name new school after Prince,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 February 1960, page 3.
“He is Prince Andrew,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 March 1960, page 1.
“School trustee polling schedule for Oct. 25,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 October 1961, page 5.
“Suburban ratepayers approve 4 bylaws,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1961, page 9.
“School meeting makes parents even angrier,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1972, page 3.
From Slate to Computer in the Transcona-Springfield Area 1873-1983 by Nan Shipley, 1983, page 350.
“Smiling Principal passes the torch,” Winnipeg Free Press Neighbours North/Northeast, 2 July 2003, page 3.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
A Prairie Girl’s Life: The Story of the Reverend Edna Lenora Perry by Edna Lenora Perry, 2014. [Winnipeg Public Library]
History, Wayoata Elementary School.
We thank Chris Lewis for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 25 February 2019
Back to top of page