Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victory School No. 1143 (Municipality of Lorne)
The Victory School District was established formally in June 1901 and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated at SE9-5-8W in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. The school closed in 1959 and its area became part of the Altamont Consolidated School District. The building was sold to the Altamont Legion and moved to Altamont where it was used as a Legion Hall for some years. After the Legion closed, the building was sold to the Leary family. In 2002, it was moved to its present location near the Leary Brickworks where it is used as a private museum.
Miami Weast topographic map, 62G/8 West, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Memories of Lorne, 1880-1980: A History of the Municipality of Lorne, 1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.L67]
We thank Ina Bramadat for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 July 2019
Back to top of page