Historic Sites of Manitoba: Valour Road Light Post and Plaque (Valour Road, Winnipeg)
This light post was erected in 1925 by the Womens Canadian Club of Winnipeg as part of the renaming of Pine Street to Valour Road. It recognized three First World War soldiers, Frederick William Hall, Leo Clarke, and Robert Shankland, who lived on the street and were awarded the Victoria Cross, the British Commonwealth’s highest military honour.
Valour Road Light Post and Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.88277, W97.18922
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Victoria Cross Recipients From Manitoba
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Valour Road Commemorative Plaza (Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 April 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.