Historic Sites of Manitoba: Trout Creek School No. 2315 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Trout Creek School District was organized formally in May 1949 and a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at the northwest corner of NE23-37-29W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. It opened for classes in the fall of 1950. A barn and teacherage were added to the site by 1953. The school closed permanently in 1967 and the district was dissolved later that year. Its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. In 1968, the former school building was moved into Swan River for use as an Elks Lodge.
Among the teachers of Trout Creek School were Peter Tzarick (1950-1951), Mrs. Florence Henderson (1964-1965), and Phyllis Graham (1965-1967).
“Council minutes,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 13 June 1968, page 11.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2017
Back to top of page