Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Collegiate Institute (1305 Winona Street, Winnipeg)
Built in 1960-1961 for the Transcona-Springfield School Division, this school was based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Waisman Ross & Associates. This site, originally going by the temporary name of “New West End High School,” replaced the former location of the Transcona Collegiate Institute off Day Street and would carry the name going forward. The same firm also designed a six-room expansion built in 1962. The school has since received a large expansion to the north and west sides.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Transcona, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, January 1953, Archives of Manitoba.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 May 1957, page 43.
Transcona, On the Horizon of a Great Future, Golden Jubilee, 1911-1961. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.T73 Tra.
“Tender notice - 6-classroom addition to Transcona Collegiate,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 December 1961, page 30.
Schools in Manitoba Vol. II, Local Government Boundaries Commission, March 1968, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 12 July 2015
Back to top of page