Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carter Avenue School / Presbyterian Mission / Talbot Avenue United Church (985 Talbot Avenue, Winnipeg)

To meet the educational needs of Ward 7 in the Elmwood suburb of Winnipeg, space was acquired by the Winnipeg School Division at the same site of a recently established Presbyterian Mission around June 1909. Located on the north side of Carter Avenue (now Talbot Avenue), between Kent Street and Birds Hill Road (now Panet Road), it was a single-teacher school for all but its final year of operation, with Annie Elizabeth Templeman (1909-1916) and Dorothy Clayton (1915-1916). The school closed with the opening of nearby George V School in February 1916 and both of its teachers moved there. The building saw continued use as a Presbyterian Mission, later serving as the Talbot Avenue United Church in the 1940s. The building was demolished in the early 1950s and private residences were built at the site.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.90218, W97.07785
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: George V School (265 Grey Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Re-opening of schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1908, page 1.

“Presbyterian summer work,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 March 1909, page 1.

“Education makes gigantic leap in thirty-eight years,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 June 1909, page 2.

“Teachers named for all schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 September 1910, page 3.

“Assignment of teachers for Winnipeg Schools which open on Sept. 15,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 September 1911, page 9.

“City schools staff assembling in Sept.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1912, page 8.

“Do you know your city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 November 1912, page 3.

“Opening of the Winnipeg public schools has been set for Monday next,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 August 1913, pages 1 and 2.

“Here’s your teacher!” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 August 1914, page 6.

“School Board assigns teachers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1915, page 9.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 21 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.