Historic Sites of Manitoba: Acton School / Sugarloaf School No. 2196 (Municipality of Grandview)
Known originally as the Acton School District when it was established in July 1929, as of 1930 a one-room school operated at SE25-23-25W in what is now the Municipality of Grandview. It was renamed Sugarloaf (or Sugar Loaf in some sources) sometime during its history, named for a prominent hill in the nearby Riding Mountain National Park. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Grandview Consolidated School District and later the Intermountain School Division. As of 1986, the former school building stood abandoned at the site. It had been destroyed by fire at the time of a May 2014 site visit.
Among the teachers who worked at Sugarloaf School through the years were Effie Winfield (1930-1931), William McLaren (1935-1936), Della Rankin (1936-1937), and Lorna McNichol (1937-1939).
Grandview West topographic map, 62N/2 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
2009 Grandview History Book. Grandview: Grandview Historical Society, 2009.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 May 2017
Back to top of page