Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mary’s School No. 451 (RM of Riding Mountain West)

The St. Mary’s School District was organized formally in July 1885 and a school building was erected the following year on the southwest quarter of 30-20-26 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Riding Mountain West. It closed in January 1967 and remaining students went to Angus School No. 1487. The building, converted to a granary, still remains at the site and a monument dedicated in 1984 stands nearby.

The original St. Mary’s School

The original St. Mary’s School (no date) by G. W. Bartlett
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 60.

St. Mary’s School

St. Mary’s School (circa 1934)
Source: Education Department Report, 1934, Manitoba Legislative Library.

The former St. Mary’s School building

The former St. Mary’s School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1254.

The former St. Mary’s School building and monument

The former St. Mary’s School building and monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former St. Mary’s School building

Interior of the former St. Mary’s School building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.74208, W101.08954
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Creek Centennial Monument (Angusville, RM of Riding Mountain West)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mary’s School (St. Mary Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 February 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.