Administered by Catholic educators, St. Mary’s School was located in downtown Winnipeg where the Delta Hotel stands today at St. Mary Avenue and Hargrave Street, one block east of Alexandra School. Architect Samuel Hooper supplied the design. The school was completed in 1904. St Mary’s School’s illustrious alumni include William Richard Bawlf, grain merchant and president of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange; and Francis Laurence ‘Bud’ Jobin, politician and Manitoba’s Lieutenant Governor in the late 1970s. The school closed in 1968. A fire on 28 November 1969 sealed its fate and the building was demolished in 1971.
Postcard view of St. Mary’s School and Church (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2011-0005
Postcard view of St. Mary’s School (circa 1912)
Source: Rob McInnes
St. Mary’s School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89000, W97.14355
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexandra School (Edmonton Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carlton School / South Central School (Graham Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mary’s School No. 451 (RM of Riding Mountain West)
This page was prepared by Reid Dickie and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 February 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.