Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Luke’s Anglican Church (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
This wood frame church building in the Town of Emerson, in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, was constructed in 1876 on plans by architect Edwin Ware of St. Thomas, Ontario. It is one of the last remaining churches from this early period of European settlement in Manitoba. The church was enlarged and the belfry was added in 1879. It closed in 2005 and is now being maintained by the local municipality.
“Emerson,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 January 1876, page 3.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Robert Hill for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Wayne Arseny.
Page revised: 13 April 2016
Back to top of page