Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John the Divine Anglican Church (Wawanesa, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

This Anglican Church was built in 1882 to serve a small group of English settlers who had arrived the previous summer in an area that would later become part of the Municipality of Oakland (today, the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa). Located approximately 22 km south of Brandon, the community eventually took its name from its first postmaster, Samuel Rounthwaite. The church was completed under the direction of Samuel’s brother, Reverend John Frederick Rounthwaite (1839-1883) using pre-cut lumber brought from Winnipeg by steamboat then overland by ox cart from the Assiniboine River.

Formerly located at the site of the Rounthwaite Cemetery, the church was moved east to Rounthwaite in 1892. Over the years the congregation dwindled and, in the autumn of 1982 after a hundred years of service, the church was formally closed. In 2002, the building was moved to its current site in Wawanesa, next to the Sipiweske Museum. Now a provincially-designated historic site, a commemorative plaque was erected in 2007.

St. John the Divine Anglican Church at Rounthwaite

St. John the Divine Anglican Church at Rounthwaite (October 1978) by Lawrence Stuckey
Source: Lawrence Stuckey Collection, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, 1-2002.3.3.CNR[191b]

St. John the Divine Anglican Church

St. John the Divine Anglican Church (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

St. John the Divine Anglican Church

Interior of the St. John the Divine Anglican Church (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.59330, W99.68377
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rounthwaite Cemetery (Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rounthwaite Cairn (Rounthwaite, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

St. John the Divine Anglican Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch

We thank Carole Smith for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Maria Zbigniewicz.

Page revised: 29 April 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.