Historic Sites of Manitoba: Steep Rock School No. 1723 (Steep Rock, RM of Grahamdale)
The Steep Rock School District was established formally in January 1914 and a schoolhouse operated in the village of Steep Rock (about SE33-28-10W) in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
Among the teachers of Steep Rock School was June McKnight (1940).
Photos & Maps
Steep Rock topographic map, 62O/7, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Lakeshore School Division,” Stonewall Interlake Spectator, 16 May 1984, page 29.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2018
Back to top of page