Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Denis School No. 1343 (RM of La Broquerie)
The St. Denis School District was organized formally in November 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at northwest corner of NE12-6-7E in the Rural Municipality of La Broquerie. In 1960, it was moved 1½ miles west, to the northwest corner of NW11-6-7E. The school closed in 1963 and district was dissolved in 1967. Its area was divided between the St. Joachim Consolidated School District and the Oswald School District, and later became part of the Hanover School Division. The former school building was sold, disassembled, and its parts were used to construct a private residence that was later moved to Steinbach.
Among the teachers of St. Denis School were Paul Carriere (1948-1949), Edgar Freynet (1949-1950), Leo Carriere (1950-1953), Beatrice Freynet (1953-1954), Colombe Bedard (1954-1955), Paul Carriere (1955-1956), Mrs. Paul Carriere (1955-1956), Oliver Bernardin (1955-1956), Lucille Vandale (1956-1957), Helene Enns (1957-1958), Lorraine Regier (1958-1960), Elma Brandt (1960-1961), and Ruth Giesbrecht (1961-1963).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Henry Esau and Monique Pinsonneault for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2015
Back to top of page