Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oswald School No. 2112 (RM of La Broquerie)
The Oswald School District was organized formally in September 1924 in the Rural Municipality of La Broquerie. Initially, classes were held in the home of Johann and Amelia Oswald. In October 1925, a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 8-6-7 east of the Principal Meridian and classes began with 36 students in grades 1 to 9. The school closed in 1964 and the remaining students went to a school in Steinbach. The district was dissolved in 1967. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument, dedicated in 2001, commemorates it.
Among the teachers who worked at Oswald School through the years were Ferdinand Oswald, Andrew Toews, William Bellon, A. L. Magnus, Leontine Nault, Sara Rosenfeld, J. P. Rempel, Tom Ladobruk, Henry Krushel (1925-1926), J. B. Peterskin, Peter T. Wiebe, John Driedger, Leo Carriere, Paul Carriere, and Micael Westman.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 September 2018
Back to top of page