Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church / St. Andrew’s United Church (415 Elgin Avenue, Winnipeg)
The St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was designed by Winnipeg architect James McDiarmid and built in 1894 at the northwest corner of the intersection of Elgin Avenue and Ellen Street. It became a United Church following the 1925 unification of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregationalist faiths in Canada. The building was destroyed by fire on 12 November 1968.
In the aftermath of the fire, the congregation worshipped at various locations until 1972 when plans were developed for a new home to be combined with an urban housing project and community centre. The multi-storey St. Andrew's Place was constructed by 1975. The final church service was held there in June 1992.
Photos & Coordinates
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
“St. Andrew’s ablaze,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 November 1968, page 1.
Our History, St. Andrew’s River Heights United Church.
St. Andrew's Elgin Avenue United Church fonds, Manitoba Archival Information Network.
Page revised: 23 May 2022