Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s River Heights United Church (255 Oak Street, Winnipeg)
This United Church at the corner of Oak Street and Kingsway in Winnipeg began in 1915 as a branch of the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in downtown Winnipeg. The first building was constructed in late 1915, at a cost of $7,000, and a first dedication service was held on 24 October 1915. Two months later, on 27 December 1915, the building was destroyed by fire.
A second church building was constructed in early 1916 at a cost of $8,000 and it opened on 25 June 1916. Originally linked closely to its downtown church, the two congregations separated in 1926. A basement auditorium on the south side of the building was added in 1929-1930 and a new sanctuary was built on top of the existing basement in 1950. Five years later, a Christian Education Building was added to the north side.
Photos & Coordinates
“Old pastor will open new church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 October 1915, page 23.
Obituary [C. Earle Gordon], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1971, page 35.
Obituary [John L. McInnis], Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1978, page 65.
Our History, St. Andrew’s River Heights United Church.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 December 2021