Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Spruce Bluff School No. 874 (RM of Grandview)

The Spruce Bluff School District was organized formally in March 1896 and a school building operated on the southeast quarter of 29-26-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Grandview. The original wood frame structure was later replaced by the present brick building with a wood-frame addition containing a science lab. The school closed in 1967 and its remaining students went to Grandview Consolidated School No. 2447. The area later became part of the Intermountain School Division. The building still stands at the site but its south wall has mostly collapsed and the floor has been removed.

Among the teachers of Spruce Bluff School was T. W. Emerson (1953-1954).

Spruce Bluff School

An earlier Spruce Bluff School (circa 1936) by R. J. MacKenzie
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 15.

Spruce Bluff School

The former Spruce Bluff School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 481.

Spruce Bluff School

The former Spruce Bluff School building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Spruce Bluff School

Interior of the former Spruce Bluff School building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Spruce Bluff School

Science lab in the former Spruce Bluff School building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.27304, W100.64928
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“15 years ago – July 1953,” Grandview Exponent, 3 July 1968, page 2.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.