Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 2
Prairie
History

No. 2

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sloop Cove (Churchill)

Sloop Cove was identified as nationally significant because of the inscriptions left there by the men who lived at the Fort and worked with the boats used by the Hudson’s Bay Company. Among the signatures inscribed on stone at Sloop Cove is that of explorer Samuel Hearne.

Sloop Cove is a sheltered nook situated 3.2 kilometers from Prince of Wales Fort on the west side of the Churchill River. Sloops were wooden sailing vessels used during the fur trade for exploration, whaling expeditions and northern trading attempts with the Inuit. During the 1700s, there was three meters of water in the cove at high tide, so it was an ideal wintering and mooring spot for them. Iron rings, which were driven into the rocks by the Hudson’s Bay Company men to secure the sloops, are still visible today although they are now far above the tidal limit due to rebound of the surrounding landscape after the retreat of the glaciers.

In 1933, the site was added to the Prince of Wales National Historic Site, designated in 1920 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Sloop Cove

Sloop Cove (July 2016)
Source: Jennifer Lidgett

Etched signature of explorer Samuel Hearne in Sloop Cove

Etched signature of explorer Samuel Hearne in Sloop Cove (July 2016)
Source: Jennifer Lidgett

Iron ring in Sloop Cove used to anchor ships

Iron ring in Sloop Cove used to anchor ships (July 2016)
Source: Leela Braun

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N58.77300, W94.22980
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Samuel Hearne by George B. Mainwaring
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 11, Number 3, Spring 1966

Prince of Wales Fort National Historic Site of Canada, Parks Canada

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prince of Wales Fort (Churchill)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance

Sources:

We thank Jennifer Lidgett and Leela Braun for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Tim Worth.

Page revised: 16 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.