Manitoba Heritage Summit 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sinclairville School No. 2063 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)

In 1921, there were enough school children in this area to warrant the establishment of a school district. Named after a local farmer, a one-room schoolhouse was built in the northeast quarter of 32-13-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne.

From September 1960 to June 1964, high school kids were driven by car to Edrans School by Merry Perrot, the Principal and high school teacher. When high school grades there closed in June 1964, the students were driven by car to Arden School. In June 1966, after 45 years in operation, Sinclairville School closed and the building was demolished. Thereafter, students attended classes in Arden and later in Neepawa.

Among the teachers of Sinclairville School were Mary E. Usher (?-?), Josephine Sinclair (1953-1954), Merry Perret (1956-1958), Lorraine Thompson (1958-1959), Christina Burnett (1959-1960), Mrs. Kay Sissons (1960-1963), Mrs. Minkus (1963-1965), and Mrs. Conelly (1965-1966).

On 31 July 2005, a monument at the former site of the site was dedicated to the families, teachers, trustees, and students of this district.

Sinclairville School

Sinclairville School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 87.

Sinclairville School commemorative monument

Sinclairville School commemorative monument (2010)
Source: Allan Drysdale

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.15178, W99.20960
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

The Lansdowne Story by Alexander Fleming “Dick” McKenzie, 1967, page 177.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 160.

We thank Al Martens for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.