Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edrans Union School No. 1142 (Edrans, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
The Edrans School District was formally established in August 1901 and a school building was erected in Edrans, in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. The first two schools at the site burned down, the latter one on 7 January 1943, and the present building, a two-classroom wood frame and stucco structure, dates from early 1944. It closed in June 1967. The building is now used as a church.
School attendance registers from 1942 to 1968, and school board minute books from 1955 to 1966 are held at the Carberry Plains Archives.
Other teachers at Edrans School included Miss Maud Napper (1901), Miss M. Carritt (1937), Gertrude Blenkhorn, George P. MacLeod, and Mrs. Jenny Graham (1966-1967).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress, page 79. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Jacquie Seaman Jones, Ralph and Mildred Schneider for providing photographs and other information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2021