Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silverwood School No. 1320 (Silverwood, Municipality of Roblin)
The Silverwood School District was established in January 1905 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE13-28-29W in what is now the Municipality of Roblin. The original wood frame schoolhouse was later replaced by a second wood frame structure. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Goose Lake Consolidated School District and later the Intermountain School Division. After the school closed in 1967, the building was sold and renovated into a private residence. It was badly damaged in a fire in 2015 and was subsequently demolished. It is commemorated by a metal sign attached to a utility pole at the original school site by local resident Lloyd John Elder.
Among the teachers of Silverwood School was W. J. Rodgers.
Angling Lakes West topographic map, 62N/6 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Larry for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 August 2019
Back to top of page