Historic Sites of Manitoba: Moosehorn School / Silver Bay School No. 1609 (Municipality of West Interlake)
Known originally as the Moosehorn School District when it was established in March 1912, it was later renamed Silver Bay. A one-room schoolhouse, built by carpenter Reginald J. Perry, operated at NW3-26-8W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Silver Bay School through the years were Jennie McLeod Bardarson, Gudgun Vigfusson Hallson, Mrs. Jeffery, Helen Roscoe Monty, Harry Warwick, David Loewen, Robert Beswatherick, Tom Ladabruk, H. H. Demerset, Jean Happychuk, Agnes Oswath, and Jessie Smith Perry.
Ebb and Flow East topographic map, 62O/2 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Death notice [Jessie Perry], Winnipeg Free Press, 21 February 1944, page 15.
Taming a Wilderness - A History of Ashern and District by the Ashern Historical Society, 1976.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 17 May 2017
Back to top of page