Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silberfeld School No. 1590 (Silberfeld, RM of Rhineland)
The Silberfeld School District No. 523 was established in January 1888 but it appears a school never operated because the district was reformed by the Council of the Rural Municipality of Rhineland in June 1911. Even then, a one-room schoolhouse was not built in the village of Silberfeld (SW22-1-1W) until 1919. In 1968, the district became part of the Gretna Consolidated School District and later the Rhineland School Division. The school was moved to Gretna to be used as extra classroom space. The yard and teacherage were bought by the last teacher to be used for a livestock-growing operation.
Among the teachers of Silberfeld School was Jacob Janzen.
Altona East topographic map, 62H/4 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Silberfeld 1878-2008, One Hundred and Thirty Years of Change by Benno and Mary Loewen, Rosenort: Country Graphics and Printing Ltd., circa 2009.
We thank Benno Loewen, Mary Loewen, and Marie Dueck for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 5 October 2018
Back to top of page