Historic Sites of Manitoba: Seaton School No. 1962 (RM of Hanover)
The Seaton School District was established in April 1919 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW6-7-5E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. The school closed in the spring of 1967 and, the following year, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. Students were bused to Bothwell School. A commemorative sign at the site was erected in 2013 by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the teachers who worked at Seaton School through the years were A. P. Janzen, Lena P. Schinkel, Cornelius L. Toews, Henry E. Toews, Harry Topnick, John R. Dick, Cornie Martens, and Richard Martens.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Glen Klassen and Ernest Braun of the EastMenn Historical Society for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 October 2015
Back to top of page