Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scotia School No. 290 (Municipality of Hamiota)

Established formally in 1884, the Scotia School District operated a school at this site in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota from 1895 to August 1918. At that time, it closed as part of school consolidation in the early 20th century, joining Eden School No. 510 to form Oakner Consolidated School No. 290 in the nearby village of Oakner.

Among the teachers who worked at Scotia School was A. J. Bell.

Scotia School commemorative sign

Scotia School commemorative sign (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.08843, W100.69101
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scotia Pioneers Monument (Municipality of Hamiota)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.