The Eden School District was formally established in June 1887. It operated a school at this location until August 1918 when it consolidated with Scotia School No. 290 to form Oakner Consolidated School No. 290, in the nearby village of Oakner in the Municipality of Hamiota. This concrete cairn, erected in 1978 by the Eden School Historical Group, marks the site of the former school.
Eden School commemorative monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.09342, W100.60130
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eden Consolidated School No. 1661 / J. M. Young School (Eden, RM of Rosedale)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 December 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.