Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakner Consolidated School No. 290 (Oakner, Municipality of Hamiota)
The Oakner Consolidated School was formed in August 1918 by the consolidation of Scotia School No. 290 with Eden School No. 510, at Oakner in the Rural Municipality of Hamiota. The four-classroom brick structure, designed by Winnipeg school architect Eldred Dodsworth Tuttle and built by the Sigurdson brothers, operated from January 1920 until 1968 when it closed and was sold to a local farmer for use as a granary. It has since been demolished. The building is commemorated by a stone monument erected in 1997. Also noted on the monument is Oakner United Church, which operated from 1909 to 2000.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
“School closes,” Brandon Sun, 2 October 1968, page 17.
Hamiota: Grains of the Century, 1884-1984 by Hamiota Centennial History Committee, 1984, pages 103-104.
We thank Murray Cumming for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 February 2022