Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sapton School No. 894 (Sapton, RM of Springfield)
The Sapton School District was established in March 1895 and one-room schoolhouses operated at NE16-12-6E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. In 1965, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hazelridge Consolidated School District No. 1583 and later the Transcona-Springfield School Division. A pair of commemorative signs remain at the former school site.
Among the teachers who worked at Sapton School were Marie Lozinski (1933-1934, grades 1-4), Anne Kravetz (1939-1940, grades 1-4), S. L. Theriault (1948-1949, grades 1-8), Louis Pokrant (grades 1959-1962, grades 1-8), Walter C. Bilych (?-?), Vic Woyna (?-?), and Ed Nazarko (?-?).
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Sapton School District No. 894 Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 July 2019
Back to top of page