Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sandhurst School No. 362 (RM of Sifton)
The Sandhurst School District was established formally in December 1884 and a one-classroom school was erected at NW1-9-29W in the Rural Municipality of Sifton, replacing an earlier school that had operated several miles to the southeast. The district operated its own school until 1911, during which students were taught at Oakwood School No. 439. The school, later relocated by the 1950s to the northwest corner of NE1-9-25W, resumed operations prior to its closure in 1964. Remaining students then went to Oak Lake Consolidated School No. 439. The building is no longer at the site, but a replica atop a concrete monument commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Sandhurst School were Miss Hornibrook (?-?), Irene Hatch (?-?), Sade R. Lynch (1911), L. P. MacKay (1911), Anna May Batko (1957-1959), Eileen C. M. Doherty (1959-1960), and George T. E. Harrison (1960-1961).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982, Manitoba Legislative Library, F 5649.O23 Oxt.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Sandhurst School District No. 362 Daily Registers, GR0466, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 December 2018
Back to top of page