Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salvation Army Hall / Canadian Slovak Legion Hall (669 Elgin Avenue, Winnipeg)
In late 1920, the Salvation Army commissioned the construction of a Hall for their No. 3 Corps at this site in Winnipeg. Previously, operations of the No. 3 Corps were at 221 Pacific Avenue. Seating capacity was approximately 225 people within the main floor Hall, with the basement having a similar seating allotment. Sunday School was held in the basement. It cost of around $5,000 to complete and opened officially on 5 February 1911. The original brick exterior was similar to the Salvation Army Hall for No. 2 Corps, opened a month later on at 229 Pritchard Avenue, also featuring three large windows in the east and west structural walls.
Around 1929, No. 3 Corps was relocated to 591 Sherbrook Street and this location stood vacant for a few years before being used as a community centre during the 1930s, with club rooms for various organizations. By the latter 1940s, it was the Canadian Slovak Legion Hall. It was later converted into a multi-suite apartment prior to its mortgage sale in late December 1964. Some remodelling followed in early 1965. The structure retained its brick exterior into the 1970s, though it was later plastered over and the stone elements were either removed or covered. As of 2019, the building remains in residential use.
“Local notes [Brigadier Burditt will open ...],” Manitoba Free Press 2 February 1911, page 3.
“Salvation Army progress,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1911, page 5.
“New citadel opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 February 1911, page 20.
““I saw it in the Tribune”,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 April 1921, page 5.
“City briefs [Young women between 18 and 20 ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 March 1932, page 3.
“Elgin Community Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 August 1934, page 7.
“Young Mennonites to hold exhibition of fine handicraft,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 June 1937, page 24.
“Foresee indepenent Slovakia,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 January 1949, page 15.
“Fire damages fruit, tobacco in warehouse,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 March 1949, page 15.
“Mortgage sale of valuable city property,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1964, page 72.
“3 rm. ste. 669 Elgin Ave.” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 February 1965, page 47.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 October 2019
Back to top of page