Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salvation Army Hall / Hebrew Friends Temple (229 Pritchard Avenue, Winnipeg)

In late 1910, the Salvation Army commissioned a Hall at this site in Winnipeg. Completed for a total cost of $5,000, its initial configuration had a main floor auditorium with seating for 200 to 250 and approximately the same in the basement, the latter of which also housed a Sunday School. The facade highlighted red brick along with Tyndall stone cornices along its 25-feet Pritchard frontage. The No. 2 Corps moved from their former quarters at 907½ Main Street and held an official opening for their new facility on 12 March 1911. This site served as a centre for local operations in the community until around 1925 when the Corps relocated to 1525 Main Street for a few years before re-establishing at 226 Atlantic Avenue around 1930. This building was repurposed as a Hebrew Friends Temple, remaining as such into the 1960s.

Several other Salvation Army Halls opened around the same year as this building, including No. 3 Corps quarters at 669 Elgin Avenue, along with one at at 299 Queen Street in St. James (opened 8 February 1911) for the No. 5 Corps and another at 397 Logan Avenue for No. 4 [Swedish/Scandinavian] Corps (opened 10 January 1913). The latter two have both since been demolished, though they bore some visual similarities to this structure. Additional Salvation Army Halls for newly established Corps were built during expansion in the 1920s.

The former Salvation Army Hall for No. 2 Corps

The former Salvation Army Hall for No. 2 Corps (July 2019)
Source: Nathan Kramer

The former Salvation Army Hall for No. 2 Corps

The former Salvation Army Hall for No. 2 Corps (May 2018)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91297, W97.13341
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Organization: Salvation Army

Sources:

“Salvation Army progress,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1911, page 5.

“Local notes [The Salvation Army will open ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 8 February 1911, page 17.

“S. A. to open new hall,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 March 1911, page 5.

“New citadel opened by Salvation Army,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 March 1911, page 7.

“New citadel opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 March 1911, page 22.

“fruits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 September 1911, page 8.

“Local notes [At the Salvation Army Hall...],” Manitoba Free Press, 20 November 1911, page 9.

“Comings events [The boys' band ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 October 1912, page 8.

“Scandinavian news [The Scandinavian Salvation Army hall ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 4 January 1913, page 15.

“Opening of new S. A. Hall,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 January 1913, page 8.

“New citadel of Scandinavian Corps,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 January 1913, page 10.

“S. A. revival services,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 February 1913, page 8.

“Revival services,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 March 1913, page 8.

“S. A. Services,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 August 1913, page 6.

“General Booth's visit,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 October 1913, page 6.

“S. A. Chief off to World's Congress,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 May 1914, page 21.

“Announcements [On Tuesday, November ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 November 1914, page 5.

“An illustrated lecture [...],” Manitoba Free Press, 3 February 1915, page 10.

“Salvation Army notes,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 February 1915, page 9.

“Notice: City of Winnipeg Zoning Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 March 1960, page 37.

“Notice The Municipal Board,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 May 1960, page 50.

“The City of Winnipeg St. Johns Community Committee,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 August 1972, page 54.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 17 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.