Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchants Bank Building / Safeway Store No. 514 (1793 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg was designed by Calgary-based architect Reginald Edwardes McDonnell (1887-1963) and constructed in 1919 as a branch of the Merchants Bank of Canada. In the late 1930s, it was repurposed as a grocery store for Safeway Stores Limited. It was occupied by an office supplies store at the time of a 2020 site visit.
Former Safeway store on Main Street in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.93747, W97.11660
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Merchants Bank of Canada
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 March 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.