This seven-storey block was designed for shoe merchant Thomas Ryan by local architects W. W. Blair and G. W. Northwood, and built in 1906 by S. Brynjolfsson and Company for about $60,000. A showroom occupied the main floor with storage in upper floors. In 1924, Ryan sold the building to the Estate of Edwin Bourke. It later changed hands several more times. The building is now a municipally-designated historic site.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ryan Block / Banfield Block (492 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: King Building / Ryan Block (104 King Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Ryan Block (44 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, September 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 January 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.