Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hanover School No. 2286 / Rocky School No. 2286 (RM of Hanover)
Known as the Hanover School District when it was established in March 1938, it was renamed Rocky in May 1961. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SW25-6-5E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. A commemorative sign at the site was erected in 2013 by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Other teachers who worked at Hanover School / Rocky School through the years included Susanna Nettie Reimer (1938-1944), Anne Pankratz (1944-1945), Jacob “Jake” Klassen (1945-1946), Mary Nightengale (1946-1947), Mary Loewen (1947-1948), Mary Rempel (1948-1950), Helen Rempel (1950-1951), Mary Elvira Braun (1951-1952), Nettie Nikkel (1952-1955), Cornelius Loewen Toews (1955-1956), Constance Worms (1956-1957), Isaac “Ike” Peters (1957), Jake H. Enns (1958, substitute), Clara Harms (1958), G. A. Hildebrand (1958), Jacob J. Penner (1958-1960), and Henry Krushel (1960-1964).
Photos & Maps
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Hanover School District No. 2286 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rocky School District No. 2286 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Glen Klassen and Ernest Braun of the EastMenn Historical Society for providing information used here.
Page revised: 2 September 2018
Back to top of page