Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Regent Park School (411 Moroz Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built in 1959 by the Transcona School District, the elementary school was based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. It was officially opened on 12 February 1960 by School Trustee H. C. Hatcher and School Board Chairman A. H. Day. Its capacity was increased in 1962 as part of a $330,000 district expansion program, adding ten classrooms. Renovations in 1988 were designed by the architectural firm of Magnus, Johnson Architects. The school, known as Ecole Regent Park School, converted to a French Immersion program for the start of the 1989-1990 school year in the Transcona-Springfield School Division.

Principals

Period

Principal

1959-1967

Alfred John Patrick Moran (1903-1967)

1968-1969

James Edwin Scarrow (1902-1982)

1969-1975

Steven Saul Rifkin

1975-?

Barry Kramble

?-1989

?

1989-1992

Paulette Belot

1992-1999

?

1999

Sid Shipira

1999-2014

?

2014-?

D. Zozman

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

?-?

Victor Lionel Perrin (c1955-2016)

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

Regent Park School

Regent Park School (October 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89663, W97.02272
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“New school bylaw for Transcona?,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 January 1959, page 6.

“Transcona opens Regent Park School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 February 1960, page 7.

“School trustee polling schedule for Oct. 25,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 October 1961, page 5.

“Suburban ratepayers approve 4 bylaws,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1961, page 9.

From Slate to Computer in the Transcona-Springfield Area 1873-1983 by Nan Shipley, 1983, page 350.

“Invitation to tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 June 1988, page 103.

“Division expects more students this year,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast, 28 August 1988, page 7.

“Students scold Exxon over oil spill,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast, 14 May 1989, page 8.

“‘Transcona to Mission Control...’,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly North, 2 June 1992, page 8.

“Jobs build self-esteem, connection to community,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North/Northeast, 17 February 1999, page 3.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 21 February 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.