Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 2
Prairie
History

No. 2

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Red River School (2400 Main Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built for the Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, this school was located in the Municipality of Old Kildonan at the southwest corner of Main Street and Ridgecrest Avenue. Approval for the facility followed a July 1951 district vote in favour of a $45,000 bylaw for the commissioning of a new two-room school along with a one-room replacement for John Black School and improvements to Lloyd George School. Capacity here replaced that at the district’s nearby River School.

While construction was underway in October 1952, a non-binding community poll was held to name the school, with a district committee to consider the public suggestions when finalizing their decision. The Red River School was completed in 1953 and opened to students for the fall term of that year. Following approval of local voters in May 1957, it was enlarged as part of a $48,000 bylaw that called for the construction of a two-room expansion as well as construction of Templeton School. Architectural drawings for the add-on were provided by the firm of Prain and Ward. The school operated within the Old Kildonan School District and Seven Oaks School Division until closing in the summer of 1976.

The Red River name remains active at the site, having been bestowed on the adjacent Red River Community Centre, which was officially opened by Winnipeg Mayor Stephen Juba and Old Kildonan Reeve John Blackner on 15 December 1962.

Principals

Period

Principal

1953-1954

Lillian Jeanne Duprey

1954-1955

George Joseph Reeve (1886-1968)

1955-1965

Dmytro “Metro” Michalchuk (1931-2017)

1965-1968

Mary Kolach Faseruk (c1925-2001)

1968-1973

Donald Peter Mandryk

1973-1974

Ernie A. Kroeger

1974-1976

Nettie Dueck

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

Before 1953

see River School

1953-1954

Lillian Jeanne Duprey (grades 5-9), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-4)

1954-1955

George Joseph Reeve (grades 5-9), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-4)

1955-1956

Metro Michalchuk (grades 4-8), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-3)

1956-1957

Metro Michalchuk (grades 4-8), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-3)

1957-1958

Metro Michalchuk (grades 6-9), Zennovia Pawlick (grades 4-5), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-3)

1958-1959

Metro Michalchuk (grades 7-9), Zennovia Pawlick (grades 3-4), Elsie Rowena Ritchie (grades 5-6), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-2)

1959-1960

Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Elsie Rowena Ritchie (grades 3-4), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-2)

1960-1961

Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Elsie Rowena Ritchie (grades 3-4), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-2)

1961-1962

Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Elsie Rowena Ritchie (grades 3-4), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-2)

1962-1963

Angele H. Arnould (grade 2), Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Elsie Rowena Ritchie (grades 3-4), Anne Zubachek (grade 1)

1963-1964

Judith Kathleen Jackson (grades 3-4), Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Rhoda Perles (grade 2), Anne Zubachek (grade 1)

1964-1965

Judith Kathleen Jackson (grades 3-4), Metro Michalchuk (grades 5-6), Rhoda Perles (grade 2), Anne Zubachek (grade 1)

1965-1966

Kathleen F. Bradshaw (grades 2-3), Phyllis Mary Broatch (kindergarten), Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Mary Faseruk (grades 4-5)

1966-1967

Kathleen F. Bradshaw (grades 2-3), Phyllis Mary Broatch (kindergarten), Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Mary Faseruk (grades 4-5)

1967-1968

Darlene Carol Chaikin (grades 2-3), Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Mary Faseruk (grades 5-6), Nobuo Matsubara (grades 3-4), Lillian Zentner (half day, no grade; relief teacher)

1968-1969

Darlene Carol Chaikin (grades 2-3), Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Donald Peter Mandryk (grades 5-6), Nobuo Matsubara (grades 3-4), Lillian Zentner (no grade; relief teacher)

1969-1970

Darlene Carol Chaikin (grade 2), Emily Dreger (grade 1), Donald Peter Mandryk (grade 4), Nobuo Matsubara (grade 3), Lillian Zentner (no grade; relief teacher)

1970-1971

Darlene Carol Chaikin (grade 2), Emily Dreger (grade 1), Margaret Jean Harrison (half time, no grades), Donald Peter Mandryk (grades 4-5), Nobuo Matsubara (grades 3-4)

1971-1972

Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Margaret Jean Harrison (half time, no grades), Donald Peter Mandryk (grades 4-5), Nobuo Matsubara (grades 3-4)

1972-1973

Emily Dreger (grades 1-2), Margaret Jean Harrison (no grades), Donald Peter Mandryk (grades 2-4)

1973-1974

Emily Dreger (grades 1-3), Ernie A. Kroeger (grades 4-5), David Guy Smith (Industrial Arts), Jona Margaret Whiteway (grades 4-5)

1974-1975

Emily Dreger (grades 1-3), Nettie Dueck (grades 4-5), David Guy Smith (Industrial Arts), Jona Margaret Whiteway (no grades)

1975-1976

Emily Dreger (grades 1-3), Nettie Dueck (grades 3-5), David Guy Smith (Industrial Arts)

Photos & Coordinates

Red River School

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95541, W97.09883
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Old Kildonan votes on schools Friday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 July 1951, page 21.

“Old Kildonan to vote school bonds July 27,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 July 1951, page 8.

“Old Kildonan plans tot taxi,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 1952, page 12.

“Ratepayers hear report on school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 October 1952, page 17.

“Mrs. M. Whiteway heads new unit,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 February 1954, page 4.

“Red River School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 March 1954, page 4.

“Old Kildonan S.D. No. 2102,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 June 1954, page 25.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 April 1957, page 19.

“The Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1957, page 37.

“Tenders for school buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 July 1957, page 35.

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1957, page 43.

“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 October 1957, page 39.

“Seven Oaks teacher assignments announced,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 September 1960, page 5.

“New centre,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 December 1962, page 9.

“Tea on Wednesday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 April 1969, page 9.

“Tea at Templeton to honor Kennedy,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 June 1973, page 17.

“West Kildonan Community [Zoning Variances],” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 October 1975, page 41.

“Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan Community Committee [File No. DCU 137-79 LS-WK],” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 September 1979, page 58.

“Tender notice roof replacement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 October 1980, page 33.

“Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan Community Committee Public Meeting [File No. DCU 227-87],” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 November 1987, page 90.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 16 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.