Historic Sites of Manitoba: Templeton School (2536 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg)
Built for the Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, this school was located in the Municipality of Old Kildonan along the western side of McPhillips Street, north of Templeton Avenue, within the Outer Two Miles of Lot 20 in the Parish of Kildonan. It was commissioned as part of a $48,000 school bylaw which, following approval of local voters in May 1957, called for the construction of a two-room school at this site as well as a two-room expansion to Red River School. The school was designed by the architectural firm of Prain and Ward and completed in 1958, in part as capacity replacement for Lloyd George School. The structure was of wooden frame structure, with brick and stucco exterior.
After closing in June 1975, the two-room school building was repurposed as a childrens nursery. It opened in Fall 1975 and operated for several years until the grounds were repurposed by the Seven Oaks School Division for a maintenance, transportation, and custodial service centre. As of 2018, the Division had relocated those services to a new building in West St. Paul and put this building and property up for sale. The building was demolished in the Fall of 2020 to make way for an automobile dealership.
Photos & Coordinates
“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 April 1957, page 19.
“The Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1957, page 37.
“Tenders for school buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 July 1957, page 35.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1957, page 43.
“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 October 1957, page 39.
“Tea at Templeton to honor Kennedy,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 June 1973, page 17.
“Old school to close,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 April 1975, page 8.
“School site for nursery,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 June 1975, page 8.
“West Kildonan Community [Zoning Variances],” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 October 1975, page 41.
“Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan Community Committee [File No. DCU 137-79 LS-WK],” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 September 1979, page 58.
“Tender notice roof replacement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 October 1980, page 33.
“Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan Community Committee Public Meeting [File No. DCU 227-87],” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 November 1987, page 90.
Intention to solicit offers to purchase for 2536 McPhillips Street [...], Seven Oaks School Division.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
We thank John Lissenberg for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 October 2020