Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rayfield School No. 636 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
The Rayfield School District was organized formally in March 1891 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the centre of S28-3-19W in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. The school closed due to lack of students before Christmas 1937 and the building was moved to Lake Bower and renovated into a summer cottage. Later moved to Killarney, it was struck by lightning and burned. The district was finally dissolved in 1957 and its catchment area was divided between the Boissevain School District and the East Lynne School District.
Among the teachers of Rayfield School were Daniel Walker (1891-1892), C. J. York (1906), Myrtle Fraser (1907-1910), Mary Nixon (1911-1912), Adele Robinson (1913), Florence Morisson (1914-1915), Bertha Gall (1915), Ethel Millar (1916), K. Cookman (1916-1917), Mildred Latimer (1917), Doris Hanley (1918), J. La Lier (1918), Theresa Duncan (1918-1920), Minnie Kelsey (1920), Mildred Musgrove (1920-1922), Frances Lovel (1923-1924), M. Grimshaw (1924-1925), M. Glossick (1925), Isabelle Smith (1925-1926), Alma Watson (1926-1927), Isabelle Stoddart (1929-1930), and Myrtle (Henderson) Ludgate (1930-1937).
School District Formation Files [Rayfield School District No. 636], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 173-174.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 January 2017
Back to top of page