Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Lynne School No. 1180 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
The East Lynne School District was established formally in March 1902 and it operated a school on the northeast corner of 5-4-19W in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. In 1950, the original schoolhouse was moved to Boissevain and removated into a private residence. The school district was dissolved in 1967. The former school building was renovated into a private residence at the site.
Among the teachers of East Lynne School were Cecil Johnston (1902-1903), Randolph Cottingham (1904-1905), Miss Mary Nixon (1906), Miss Ullyot (1911-1912), Miss Mildred Latimer (1913-1914), Miss T. B. Duncan (1917), Miss Mary Seale (1920), Miss Isla McLachlan (1926-1929), Miss Ella Rowe (1930-1932), Miss Patricia Herron (1932-1935), Miss Elsie Reid (1935-1937), Mr. K. R. James (1937-1939), Miss Audrey M. Poyser (1939-1940), Miss Olive Scott (1940-1942), Miss Velma Orriss (1942-1943), Miss Dorothy Millikin (1943-1944), Mrs. W. J. Pinuita (1944-1945), Miss Adelmar Thiessen (1945-1946), Miss Geraldine Wear (1946-1947), Miss Ines Scott (1947-1948), Miss Gladys Jessiman (1948-1949), Miss Nora Reimer (1949-1950), Miss Beatrice Venables (1950-1952), Mrs. Don Cochrane (1952-1953), Miss Agatha Dyck (1953-1954), Miss May Jones (1954-1955), Miss Margaret Friesen (1955-1956), Miss Anna Rempel (1956-1959), Mrs. Myrtle Ludgate (1959-1961), Mrs. Judith Broadfoot (1961-1962), Miss Lorette Claeys (1962-1964), and Harvey Sawatzky (1964-1965).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, page 160.
We thank Julie Kentner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 July 2017
Back to top of page