Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wisla School / Prince of Wales School No. 1373 (Wisla, Municipality of Harrison Park)
Known originally as the Wisla School District when it was established in April 1906, at some point it was renamed Prince of Wales. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SE1-19-22W in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. In 1963, the district was dissolved and its area was added to the Elphinstone Consolidated School District. It later became part of the Pelly Trail School Division. At the time of a 2014 site visit, the former school building was gone but the former teacherage was being used as a private residence. A commemorative sign was near the school site, partially obscured by bushes.
Among the teachers who worked at Prince of Wales School were B. V. Keller (1943-1945), Mrs. J. M. Kwiatkowski (1945-1946), Walter Nowosad (1946-1947), Lesia Krysowaty (1947-1948), W. J. Sianchuk (1948-1949), W. E. Stefanuk (1949-1950), Mrs. A. Zibrowski (1950-1951), John Zurbyk (1951-1952), L. H. Kwiatkowski (1952), Stanley Kokorudz (1953-1955), A. B. Nakonechny (1956-1950), Isabelle Strank (1959-1960), John Spak (1960-1961), Barney Bolton, and Mr. Mykytuik.
Elphinstone West topographic map, 62K/9 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 February 2018
Back to top of page