Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prairie View School No. 1085 (RM of Macdonald)
The Prairie View School District was established in July 1900 in the northwest quarter of 36-8-2 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Muncipality of Macdonald. A wooden frame school building was tendered for completion by November 1900. It closed in January 1960 and its catchment area was merged with Starbuck Consolidated School District No. 1150. A monument was presented by former student Clark Frantz and former teacher Floris Olsen.
Among the teachers of Prairie View School were Thelma Ruth Weidman and Jean R. Pobrant (1956-1957).
“Tenders will be received [...] Prairie View School,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 October 1900, page 9.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Thelma Ruth Weidman (1912-1999)], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 December 1999, page D9.
Manitoba School Records Collection [GR0638], [Prairie View School District No. 1085 Daily Register], Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 30 November 2018
Back to top of page