This coat of arms of Canada originally graced the Garry Street entrance of the annex to Winnipeg’s main post office from 1935 until 1962. A project of the Great Depression, the three-story brick and concrete building was designed by Winnipeg architects Herbert Moody, George Northwood, and C. W. Chivers. The coat of arms remained in storage for 28 years until it found a new home in the English Garden of Assiniboine Park in 1990. The plaque was donated in 1992 by the Heartland Chapter of the Canada Post Heritage Club.
Postcard of the Winnipeg Post Office (circa 1910) by Israel Meyers
Source: Rob McInnes
Postal Coat of Arms (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.87482, W97.23510
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Post Office Shards and Plaque (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 March 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.