Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Street School (Valour Road, Winnipeg)
To meet the educational needs of this area of Winnipeg, for which no school was nearby, a building on Pine Street (now Valour Road) near Portage Avenue was rented by the Winnipeg School Division. Opened between September and December of 1906, students in grades 1-5 were taught by teacher Ada Reive until the opening of the nearby Clifton Street School in 1908, at which point the school closed, with students and the teacher relocating there. Three notable students were Victoria Cross recipients in the First World War.
“Aberdeen School enlarged,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, page 45.
“The public schools of Winnipeg,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 December 1906, page 22.
“Pine Street School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 June 1907, page 10.
“Changes in city schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 August 1907.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 13 March 2017
Back to top of page