Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pinawa Generating Station (Winnipeg River, RM of Lac du Bonnet)
Construction of the Pinawa Generating Station in Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet began in 1903 and was completed in 1906 at a cost of three million dollars. The first hydroelectric plant on the Winnipeg River, and the second in Manitoba, it led to the full utilization of the hydro power potential of the river. The last generator was removed in 1951, at which point the river flow was diverted to the Seven Sisters Generating Station. Of the approximately twenty homes located nearby, those of wooden construction were moved to Great Falls and the brick ones were abandoned.
Two plaques have been placed on the downstream face of the spillway near the public walkway along the east side of the powerhouse to commemorate the significant engineering acheivements accomplished with the planning, construction and operation of the Pinawa Generating Station. APEGM recognized the project on 31 August 1987 on the occasion of the centenary of the Engineering profession in Canada. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) recognized the project in June 2008.
“Manitoba’s first power plant being demolished,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 May 1954, page 6.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 August 2017
Back to top of page