Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Paterson Grain Elevator (Pierson, Municipality of Two Borders)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A 30,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at Pierson, on the CPR Estevan Subdivision in the Municipality of Two Borders, was built in 1939 by Manitoba Pool Elevators, replacing an elevator that had burned earlier that year. A balloon annex beside the elevator was removed in 1967 and replaced with an 80,000-bushel crib annex on its west side. In 1976, flooding that necessitated the closure of elevators at Lyleton and Tilston brought additional grain here so a second crib annex was built on the east side of the elevator, bringing its total capacity to 210,000 bushels. A second leg was installed at the same time. Closed by Agricore in 2001, the elevator was sold to the Paterson Grain Company.

Agents / Buyers (Pool A)

Period

Agent / Buyer

1928-1930

M. Elvin

1930-1934

William Thomson

1934-1935

?

1935-1936

D. J. McDonald

1936-1940

H. N. Gray

1940-1957

Harvey L. Chambers

1957-1964

Abe D. Wiebe

1964-1968

David Warren Shewfelt

1968-1973

Dennis Peckover

1973-1981

Archie Heinrichs

1981-1983

Gerry L. Charles

1983-1987

Donald T. Leadbeater

1987-1998

Danny B. Morris

Agents / Buyers (Pool B)

Period

Agent / Buyer

1960-1962

W. W. Rennie

1962-1964

Abe D. Wiebe

1964-1966

David Warren Shewfelt

Agents / Buyers (Pool C)

Period

Agent / Buyer

1961-1962

Abe D. Wiebe

1962-1964

W. W. Rennie

1964-1966

David Martens

Photos & Coordinates

Former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson

Former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson (August 2014)
Source: Jean McManus

Former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson

Former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Aerial view of former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson

Aerial view of former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Pierson (September 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.17995, W101.26200
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Grain Elevator (Pierson, Municipality of Two Borders)

Sources:

Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

We thank Jean McManus and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 December 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.