Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Lyleton, Municipality of Two Borders)
The former Manitoba Pool elevator at Lyleton, on the CPR Lyleton Subdivision in the Municipality of Two Borders, was built in 1928. In 1967, a temporary annex dating from 1952 was replaced by a new crib annex that increased the facility's total capacity to 128,000 bushels. In April 1976, swollen waters of the Souris River washed out a railway bridge between Lyleton and Waskada. The Canadian Pacific Railway, which wanted to abandon the line to Lyleton, decided not to replace the bridge. Consequently, the elevator closed in December 1976 and the line was formally abandoned in December 1977. The elevator was sold into private hands.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“Mr. and Mrs. Harry Levins,” Rural Reflections, Volume 2: 1879-1982 by Isabella History Committee, 1982, pages 278-279.
Obituary [Willis John Wyatt], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1984, page 28.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2020