Around 1981, this barn near Brandon (SW6-11-19W) in the Rural Municipality of Elton was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on rural architecture. The original caption for the photograph is given below.
Straight and simple lines were the obvious characteristics of early farm building designs, illustrated in this nearly 80-year-old barn just northwest of Brandon. Built by George Paterson shortly after the turn of the century, the 100-foot by 34-foot building was originally used to house British Shire horses, a heavier version of the Clydesdales. Like almost all barns of that era, the barn had handsome cupolas and a large windmill mounted on the roof. The windmill was used mainly to grind oats for feed. Some modifications have been made by man and prairie storms over the years, although the three gothic dormers have continued to serve useful farm purposes since the very first. The barn is located on the Murray Clark farm. The original builder-owner was well known in the area, having built the 10-mile dam on the Little Saskatchewan River just west of Brandon, as well as the Moreland Manor Building near downtown Brandon.
The barn was demolished sometime between 1995 and 2002.
Memorable Manitobans: George Alexander Paterson (1868-1941)
We thank Keith Smith for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Bob Hainstock, Ed Ledohowski, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 October 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.